March 16, 2009


That's What You get For Bragging! That's, what my wife said.

Ok, so we're driving home late Sunday morning and I was so proud of the Bronco turning over 290,000 miles that I had to do a shot of the odometer.  I mean, you know, that's like almost 12 times around the planet not to mention about 50 thousand miles farther than it is to the moon. 

Three hours later, Lori and I are scoping out ice free areas on Little Lake Butte des Morts and I have two Sea Kayaks on the roof of the truck.  I go to make a tight U-turn and end up with one front wheel pointing one way and the other wheel going the other way.  Ahhhhh!, broken tie rod end,
 not good.  I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to get this thing home. - might be a tough tow with two 17 ft. boats over hanging the roof.  Fortunately, I always have a few yards of nylon rope in the truck, so I managed to reposition the tie rod and hold it in place with two half hitches and a finely done timber hitch, if I do say so myself.  Back on the road- well, maybe.  We limped home at about 10 miles per hour; I was thinking that the front wheels going in opposite directions at highway speed might not be a good thing.  

Ha, and my Mom said watching all those Magiver episodes would rot my brain!

3 comments:

  1. Great story. OK Mike, I think it's time to retire the Bronco. Let it go. ..

    ReplyDelete
  2. SERIOUSLY!!!!!!!!! That is the best.... you know it was just a matter of time before that old beater broke down on you. Now the problem is just you- LEAVE IT ALONE!!! The poor thing has been abused enough. One can only take so much.....
    My heart goes out to your poor family for having to put up with your obsessive madness!!
    (however, you do get a kudos on the "MCGUYVER MOVE")

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really digging your blog.

    Favorite passage "Fortunately, I always have a few yards of nylon rope in the truck, so I managed to reposition the tie rod and hold it in place with two half hitches and a finely done timber hitch, if I do say so myself." I wanna hang with you.

    ReplyDelete